[plug] firefox

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jun 5 20:22:06 WST 2004

Craig Dyke wrote:
> I am sure this information is out there somewhere but I must be blind.
>
> How do I tell web sites that my trusty version of firefox is iexplorer
> or netscape?
>
> I remember this being a feature once before and have come across a number
> of sites that reject me because I am not using one of the two mentioned
> above.

This is a bit of a bugger. You can use the user-agent switcher firefox extension, but it still
reports the proper user-agent and operating system string if queried by Javascript. The user-agent
switcher only changes the reported browser string.

This is a pisser, coz my idiot bank (HSBC UAE) will allow firefox or mozilla on windows, but every
one of their pages has a javascript check to make sure the OS is either MacOS or Windows.
This would not be a problem if I could get Mozilla to lie correctly, but it's a known bug. <sigh>

As Banks go, they are pretty technologically retarded (actually, most banks in the UAE are about 5
years behind the rest of the world as far as E-banking goes!)

Regards,
Brad