E-mail conventions (was: Re: [plug] Debian VS Mandrake)

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Sun Jun 6 10:19:03 WST 2004

In message <1086455229.3794.108.camel at Ultima>
on Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 01:07:10AM +0800, Brock Woolf wrote:
> By the way, on the line up the top where you put:
> <1086437645.3794.96.camel at Ultima>
> How did you find this, and what is it???
> Is it the Message-ID thing you were talking about? (Notice i dropped the
> "generate" word this time)

;-) Yep, it's the Message-ID. I use 'mutt' as my e-mail client and I
have it configured to produce attributions like this (in ~/.muttrc):

    set attribution="In message %i\non %d, %n wrote:"

I have found this to me optimal for my purposes. [Cue sound effects.]

> And since you are a self-proclaimed holy grail of information,

Nuh-uh, you must be thinking of rec.humor.oracle ;-)

> do you know anything about PGP-Signing on emails? Such as why do it
> and how to do it?

Yesterday, Steve Boak titled a post as "Crypto configuration"
(Message-ID was <200406051754.58194.sboak at westnet.com.au>). Maybe
someone's going to respond to that thread. I don't know about PGP, but
there are probably lots of GPG instructions for Evolution on the web
(but I could be wrong).