[plug] firefox

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sun Jun 6 17:42:57 WST 2004

Brock Woolf wrote:

>>>Yeah and so is Konqueror, but in a good way :)
>>
>>Yep, tested it in a UML, Konq works.. But I don't want to have to keep Konq and the KDE libs around
>>just to do my banking. If I do that then I'm no better off than using Win4Lin except I lose the
>>ability to run misc win32 software and my companies accounting package (ie 5.5 or higher only).
>

> Yeah, well you wouldn't be better off using Win4Lin, if Firefox can't do
> it, then it's really not that great is it.

Err you did not read what I wrote.. I use Win4Lin also to access my company accounting package which
requires IE 5.5 or later, so I still need to keep Win4Lin around. So I would be better off not
having Konq installed as then I don't need the space for it or the kde libs.

> I have 4 web browsers
> installed: Konqueror, Epiphany, Mozilla, Mozilla Firefox. I don't use
> Epiphany or Mozilla really though.
> But I mean why can't you just use Konq for your netbanking and Firefox
> for everything else.

I could, but if I need to keep Win4Lin installed then I may as well use Firefox on that.

> Really, you may have to settle, because Linux ain't perfect, abeit very
> good.

Linux is a hell of a lot better than Windows. Where the problem lay is in applications that run on
top of the Linux kernel (to be pedantic)

> Send an email to the Firefox team and in the next release maybe you can
> persuade them to include browser identification.

It's been listed in the Mozilla bugzilla for over a year now, so I think they know about the issue.

> At the end of the day, i don't think having one more icon on your
> desktop is really gonna be worse than having to use Win4Lin.
> I know what you want, but it's just not available....yet.

> You sound like you want a super super optimal Linux box. Tell me, are
> you a Gentoo user? Cause you have the hallmarkings of one :)

No, I'm a Debian user (Have been since about 1996). I don't want anything I installed that I don't
explicitly need or use. I'm not short on hard disk space (I have just over 2.2TB) but I see no need
to have extraneous applications on my system. In reality I believe that one web browser should be
enough. As it is I use Firefox as my daily driver. I have Opera for my girlfriend to use with Yahoo
web mail ( As firefox caused issues with that ) and I have Firefox on Win4Lin to access my net
banking and IE 6.1 on Win4Lin to run my Company accounts. I also use Borland Delphi on Win4lin to
develop win32 software that I can run with WINE (A cutdown wine install and my win32 app is still
smaller and faster than a Kylix compiled version with all the required libs, plus I get the bonus
that I can run it on almost any other box with a single binary!)

As for a super optimal box... Not really, I just have 3 machines that all run the same version of
the OS, and I like to keep things pretty standard across all three. My laptop has a 6.7G main
partition (The other 43G is various storage, cross compilers, cvs trees, dvd movies, music and other
stuff). I feel I should be able to easily slide everything I want into 6.7G and so I keep it pretty
minimal. Plus, the leaner it is, the longer I can delay having to upgrade due to a lack of resources
or speed.

Regards,
Brad