Message-IDs (was: Re: [plug] E-mail conventions)

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 6 19:21:15 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-05 at 10:00, James Devenish wrote:

> In effect, each Internet e-mail and newsgroup message is supposed to
> have a globally-unique Message-ID. The Message-ID enables messages to be
> retrieved or identified in archives, newsgroups, log files (important
> for diagnosing mail problems), and can be used to prevent duplicate
> postings, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. These things break down without
> uniqueness of Message-IDs. In order to strengthen the likelihood of
> uniqueness, the portion appearing after the "@" sign should be
> non-trivial (often, a fully-qualified DNS name is used). Although
> "ultima" is better than "localhost", it would be even better if it were
> something like a fully-qualified DNS hostname (or mail domain, at
> least).

I have just recently changed my computer's "hostname" to Ultima.
It would seem it has had the effect of also changing my message ID's to
xxxxxxxxxxx at Ultima
I do not know how to change it otherwise. If you tell me how, then I
will change it.

> "Almost everyone else" on this list seems to have 'good'
> Message-IDs, so I'm not sure why your case is different.

As stated above, thats why my case is different. I use Evolution 1.4