[plug] Server Hardware Specs -slightly offtopic

Patrick Tehvand patrick at tehvand.com
Mon Jun 7 16:41:51 WST 2004

Hi all,
I was wondering if any of you had some links to sites with info on
specifications for servers. More importantly with ratios of what is
needed per user.

I am currently weighing up the pros and cons of moving our two diverse
networks of students and staff onto the one network but to drive such a
move a whopping great server or multiple in HA setup would be required.
We have about 1200 users with about 500 on at any one time.

Our current setup is a bastardised redhat PDC for both networks (with
attached win2k3/sql and x-serve on staff network).

cheers
Patrick