[plug] X configuration

nofixed nofixed at westnet.com.au
Mon Jun 7 23:06:16 WST 2004

>>The XF86Config-4 generated by debconf does not work.  Either "no
>>device" or "no screen" depending on how I specify the bus location.
>>The AGP video card is nVidia MX440SE 128MB, and the only driver I
>see
>>is nv.
>>
>>xf86config is no better.  As I am using Windows to post this, I
>>cannot include the device and screen sections for analysis.
>
>as root:
>mcedit (or vi whatever) /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, look for:
>
>driver "nv" (or something similar)
>
>and change it to
>
>driver "vesa"

Thanks John.  It works.  While using the nvidia driver is optimal, it
is currently not available to me as I still do not have network
access with linux.  Network/internet access works fine with Windows
XP so I know the hardware is ok.

I downloaded the nvidia driver package, but it did not have anything
for my specific kernel (2.4.18 I think).  Without internet access or
the kernel source for a source build it was not usable.

I'm still hacking away at the connection to my NB1300+4 adsl modem.
I'm sure there's documentation out there somewhere.....

Regards
Jim