[plug] packaged brand-name PCs vs custom

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Thu Jun 10 12:01:27 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 11:22, Michael Holland wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Senectus - wrote:
>
> > Because I've done it to death already.
> > My last 10 years in buying PC's was hunting down the parts I wanted thinking
>
> Fair enough. But one could just go to a single vendor, tick off the
> motherboard, CPU speed, RAM size, HDD, etc required. Then the vendor can
> confirm they are compatible, assemble test and guarentee it.

That is EXACTLY what I do. I tell them what I want, they get it, build
it and test it and it costs me $27 more. I ask questions like:
"What HDDs are you returning the least at the moment?"
Ask a Tech what what they would be buying at the moment.
Never ask what is the cheapest!

Kind Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at linuxit.com.au>