[plug] Re: mapping out a website

David Buddrige buddrige at wasp.net.au
Thu Jun 10 14:04:38 WST 2004

I have been experimenting with the --spider option, but couldn't get it to
work... here's a transcript of running wget from my isp shell account:

[buddrige at wasp buddrige]$ wget -r --spider -o test.txt http://www.gnu.org
[buddrige at wasp buddrige]$ cat test.txt
 --13:57:48--  http://www.gnu.org/
          => `www.gnu.org/index.html'
Resolving www.gnu.org... done.
Connecting to www.gnu.org[199.232.41.10]:80... connected.
Length: 12,756 [text/html]
200 OK

www.gnu.org/index.html: No such file or directory

FINISHED --13:57:58--
Downloaded: 0 bytes in 0 files
[buddrige at wasp buddrige]$

I wasn't sure what to search for to do this task... will try searching for
"web mapping" on google... but also, am a bit confused as to wget's
behaviour...  was primarily interested in wget because it is [theoretically]
scriptable...

thanks

David.