[plug] Mail Server/Gateway (Min Specs, other feedback)

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu Jun 10 14:30:38 WST 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 11:16:31AM +0800, Tim White wrote:
> * AMD i486 (66 Bogomips. From memory a 133 Mhz)

I P133/166 is probably more typical for a crummy home setup, but you
might get away with the 486.

> * 32Mb EDO ram (100Mb Swap)

I've run similar setups on that, but 64M will work better (if you can
get your hands on it).

> * 4Gb HDD (IDE)

You might want more to run a squid cache in, but otherwise fine.

> It currently hosts a webserver (testing for internal network) and a POP3
> server. The pop3 server is Cyrus which I find slow and will probably revert
> back to qpopper.

Have a look at teapop -- it's lightweight, configurable, and works
nicely with IMAP servers (it can ignore the IMAP state in the spool).

> What I am asking the list is:
> Are these specs enough for the 6-10 users?

Probably, but doubling the RAM would help.

> How well will they scale with email accounts with 70Mb++ of emails? (Email
> access for clients will probably be IMAP only with POP  for a few accounts)

Try not to put 70M in a single folder, but otherwise not a problem.

> Suggestions as to what apps to use for these services (POP, IMAP, proxy,
> SMTP (with queue))

POP3 - teapop
IMAP - uw-imapd
proxy - squid (though it isn't lightweight, it works well)
SMTP - postfix (sendmail will give you nightmares  :)

> Web resources that will help me set up SECURELY the following:
>         * iptables with NAT (and transparent proxy)
>         * iptables to block all incoming traffic
>         * iptables NAT so that FTP servers that want to authenticate
> internal machines can

apt-get install ipmasq

>         * IMAP server setup

apt-get install uw-imapd

>         * fetchmail and some sendmail script for sending queued mail and
> receiving mail from external servers when connected [1]

apt-get install postfix fetchmail

postfix takes care of the send.
fetchmail can be configured fairly simply, and will take care of the
receive.  Look in /usr/doc/fetchmail-common/ for details.

--
 Leon Blackwell                | Your mouse has moved.  Windows must be
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | restarted for the change to take