[plug] Virtual Filesystems & CMS

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 11 12:19:20 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 10:28, Trevor Phillips wrote:

> The higher-ups are trumpeting Content Management Systems - throw money at a
> black box. Yay! Personally, I've found such solutions are more trouble than
> they're worth, with more time spent trying to bend the system to do what used
> to be simple. And I know for a fact that most of them won't integrate with
> some of our other technologies we depend upon (heavy-use of Apache mod_perl
> layered content handlers).

[snip]

> So - what sort of technologies pre-existing could I leverage?

I've been looking at Plone recently, and it's pretty amazing. It handles
all of your desired features, and with WebDAV access can provide a
filesystem-like interface.

On the other hand it's Zope based, so cusomisation is an ... experience.
Also, the utility of WebDAV is significantly harmed by the current
inconsistent app support. OO.o supports it OK, though, and there are
WebDAV filesystems for many OSes including Windows.

Personally, I'm waiting for a Zope 3.0 based Plone, because I just don't
want to work with Zope as it is now. I also just don't have time right
now.

Plone does sound like its ideally tailored to your needs (meeting most
or all of your criteria), and if you have the time to spend learning it
then it's quite reasonable to customise. I would strongly advise you to
at least have a look.

I'll reply in more detail later if I get the chance.

Craig Ringer