[plug] gentoo emerge

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Fri Jun 11 23:03:32 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-06-11 at 14:38 +0000, Mungo TheB wrote:
> thanks all
> I have to agree that i'm learning stuff :)
>

> >emerge app-portage/gentoolkit
> >
> >qpkg -I
>

> is qpkg like porthole?

qpkg is the query tool for the portage system. so can find out what
files are in a package, what packages are installed, what package owns a
particular file, what is dependant on a package and lots of other stuff

> > > I THINK I've pointed portage location to a seperate partition.
> > > When I emerge file (after emerge -pv file) how do I get it to save a
> >copy of
> > > the file so NEXT time :) can just load?
> >
> >Not sure I understand what you mean. you can use -f on the emerge
> >command to download all the source files.
>
> You can tell emerge where you want the default portage location (eg
> /dsk0/portage_base)
> you can ALSO have a default USR portage location (eg /dsk0/portage_usr)
> portage_base can change when ya sync
> portage_usr stays as you make it (can put stuff there that you want to keep
> etc)

ahh you mean the portage overlay support. yes very useful feature that.
as to setting it up, the man pages for portage have a good amount of
information as does the documentation on the main gentoo site.

if your looking for more bleeding edge ebuilds i suggest you check out
the breakmygentoo.net overlays. More info on setting them up is at:
http://breakmygentoo.net/archives/000130.html#more

Lots of good stuff in here specially if you keep up with the latest
gnome development, evolution 1.5.9.1 (currently using that myself, very
nice, much better than 1.4), robert love's gnome-volume-manager and its
associate project utopia goodness, plus of course for those that really
want to live on the edge gnome 2.7.1.

Adam