[plug] Kernel build problems

nofixed nofixed at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 12 00:47:05 WST 2004

>On Fri, Jun 11, 2004 at 06:53:08PM +0800, Jim wrote:
>> When I boot "New" I get:
>> kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k block-major-3, errno = 2
>> VFS: Cannot open root device "348" or 3:48
>> Please append a correct "root=" boot option
>> Kernel panic...

>Bernard replied:
>Sounds like you need to compile IDE drivers and/or your filesystem
>drivers directly into your kernel (not as modules).

*bingo*
It took several tries to get  everything associated with ide, but I
wanted to avoid the shotgun approach.

I'm still getting unresolved references, but at least I'm up now.  A
real advantage to upgrading fron 2.4.18 to 2.4.26 is I can now access
th internet.  Something was missing from 2.4.18.  I suspect it was
8139too.

I'm also getting 132x60 text-mode now as well.  I suspect Debian
tweaked the kernel to force 80x30.

Now that I have the source for the installed kernel, I can install
the nvidia driver and get decent resolution.

Seveeral days ago I decided that being frustrated and annoyed at not
making much progress was a waste of energy, and I should really be
treating the process as a learning experience.  Worked a treat.  A
bit of a luxury  though for those pressed for time.

Thanks Bernard

Jim
----
Hands were created for backrubs.
  Anything else you can do with them is a bonus!