[plug] Floppy based Mini-Distro's

Sham Chukoury sham at shambhala.ath.cx
Sat Jun 12 04:53:23 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-12 at 02:37, Brad Campbell wrote:

> Want some real fun, and a great way to learn a bit more depth about linux in general?
> Build your own from scratch.
>
> Use a 2.4 kernel
> http://www.uclibc.org
> http://www.busybox.net
>
> Then go to town. Busybox contains almost everything you need for a basic rescue disk now. Combine
> that with e2fs tools and other tools of your choice, then spend 100's of hours learning how to put
> it all together and optimise it to get it onto a 1.44 floppy along with the kernel.

I second that. ;) Useful resources and tips:
- reverse engineer the debian installation boot and root floppy images
- check out slackware's installation floppy's init/boot script (nice and
simple)

Speaking of learning a bit more in depth, check out a brief summary of
my venture into the world of mail servers:
http://eleusis.f2o.org/wp/index.php?p=24

§:)