[plug] Cheap Laser for Linux

Craig Foster fostware at westnet.com.au
Sat Jun 12 15:27:44 WST 2004

I've had a lot of problems with Brother laser printers... Especially early
wearing OPC drums that leave a streak down on side of the page. The paper
pickups are similar between the new HP and most of the Brother range.

Most schools we're involved with tried the new HP lasers, but realised that
they went through a significantly greater amount of toner that the standard
FS-680 or FS-1000/FS-1010 Kyoceras.

Kyocera printers need to be told that they're running PCL, as KPDL (the
default) is an ecclectic mix of PCL and PS. Enough PS infact, that Acrobat
6.0 printing can choke them, except if you print as an image :/

HtH,

CraigF.