[plug] Floppy based Mini-Distro's

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Sat Jun 12 19:29:40 WST 2004

Jay Turner wrote:

> Hence my requirement for a small floppy based distro that has bash (or more
> specifically can support the fairly standard elements I have used in my
> script ('[' 'echo' 'do' 'while' etc..) and dd available to me.
> If you know of a floppy distro that can do that, let me know :-)

I can give you one of my floppy images if you like. It supports ash (which is pretty bash
compatible) and has dd and most other stuff you will need.
You would need to loopback mount the floppy, uncompress the ext2 initrd, loopback mount that,
add/delete to your hearts content, gzip it back up and copy it to the floppy.

Hell, it's at http://www.wasp.net.au/~brad/boot_floppy.img

Just dd it to a floppy and boot of it. It's pretty bare in that I only have ide, vfat, ntfs, ext2
compiled in, plus a minimum of drivers, but it will give you a basic idea. Once the floppy has
booted you can take it out and put another one in to run scripts/apps off if you like. It's not
glibc so don't try copying binaries over to it, but if you have an app you'd like on there then
point me at the source and I'll try to compile it up for you.

If you can make it do what you want then great, if not then give me a detailed list of what drivers
you need compiled in, what apps you need and I'll make one for you when I get a minute. (If I can
fit it all on the disk anyway)

Regards,
Brad