[plug] Mandrake 2.6.6 Kernel

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Jun 14 08:08:47 WST 2004

On Sat, 12 Jun 2004 02:07, Brock Woolf wrote:
> Hi, at the moment i am running Mandrake 10 Official which comes with
> the standard 2.6.3-7mdk Kernel.

> With the recent release of the 2.6.6 Kernel, I would like to upgrade
> my system. But. I am a true novice in this area and as such I have
> never done it before.

> I do have a fair knowledge of the command line and I could do this
> but I just have never tried before. Could someone please tell me how
> to get it done without rendering by system useless?

Fetch the .src.rpm, install it, cd /usr/src/RPM/SPECS, then:

    rpm -bb kernel.spec

You should wind up (after a loooong time) with a swag of kernel RPMs
in /usr/src/RPM/RPMS somewhere, most likely i586/ and probably also
i686/ unless your RPM config is odd. Choose a suitable flavour and
install it:

    rpm -ivh kernel-$BLAH.rpm

Re-run LILO by hand if you used LILO as your boot manager (likely) to
check for errors. LILO will not change your existing boot config while
errors remain. When that's all happy (usually first go but I'm a
professional paranoiac), reboot, hold down Shift if necessary, and
choose your new kernel from the menu. If it all works after extensive
testing, edit /etc/lilo.conf to make it the default, and re-ru LILO.

Cheers; Leon