[plug] OOo success stories (was: calling Perth)

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Jun 14 08:22:23 WST 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004 13:13, Jacqueline McNally wrote:
> I am receiving more requests from what I call mainstream media IN
> Australia, and it would be really great to have more local success
> stories to share with them.

I have a customer involved in the medical industry. One of their staff
in particular came to me with his MS-Office installation broken and in
need of office software right now, as in, he needed the thing working
within ten minutes and didn't have his laptop's LAN card handy for
pushing the (huge) document across to another machine for editing and
printing, so I whipped out a handy OpenOffice-bearing CD, which
happened to be GnuWin2, and installed OOo 1.0. It read, edited and
printed his document flawlessly, all the more astonishing to him
because it mostly wasn't in English.

I more or less forgot about him, being very busy and all, until the next
time their office blew up a workstation (which they do about every 3
months, across 8 machines all running Win2k; the only time I've been
called out for a problem with the (Linux) server and it actually has
been the server's fault, kinda, the server had been stolen!). He had
found someone to repair his MS-Office but very rarely used it. He had
also investigated OOo, discovered that he didn't have the latest
version, and updated to 1.1.1 all by himself. He much preferred OOo's
way of doing input in his native language, and he'd used it to recover
several broken documents for other people. He is a member of a local
Chamber of Commerce in Australia for a particular nation and has been
enthusiastically promoting OOo in that Chamber.

I'll ask him if he's happy for me to hand out potentially identifying
detail.

Cheers; Leon