[plug] OT - Internet access I am stumped

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jun 16 15:19:29 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-16 at 16:01, Patrick Tehvand wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Off topic but i need some info.
>
> I work at a school south of canningvale. We cannot get DSL or ISDN for
> various reasons. I am looking for an internet access solution that will
> provide >512K speeds (which puts sattelite out of the equation).

Well, no it doesn't.

> Our current options include a x163=>fibre connection to Amcom which will
> set us back a cool 20K/year for 18G/month at 2mbit and a wireless 2mb
> connection through e-span for 15K/year with 25G/month.

For that amount of money you can put several dishes in your back yard.

> Can anyone suggest any other solution than the ones above. Have i missed
> a provider here?

Find a friend on a DSL connection capable location. Pay for their
access, put a wireless bridge in place.

Muuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuch cheaper than anything else you've mentioned.

> Cheers for your help. and to keep it close to topic, we run linux
> gateway and servers here so connection must be linux friendly (i know
> most are in this sort of $$ range)

Doesn't matter, a wireless bridge works with PDA's :-)

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..