[plug] the GNOME panel that just won't die

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 16 20:32:27 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:
> In message <40D02611.80505 at postnewspapers.com.au>
> on Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 06:50:57PM +0800, Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>>After a while it suddenly stopped responding over the network. 'ifdown
>>eth2; ifup eth2' helped briefly, but then it stopped responding again.
>>'ethtool eth2' reported link was fine, and the interface has a
>>statically assigned IP. When the machine started reporting 'no route
>>to host' for /some/ packets (completely losing the rest) when pinging
>>another machine,
>
> Hmm, interesting. I've encountered a similar-sounding problem with
> kernels <2.6. There's a particular machine with Intel EtherExpress Pro
> cards (IIRC) that's always given trouble, regardless of kernel version.

This thread is interesting:
http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0404.2/0900.html
at least in that the symptoms and recovery methods are similar, though
the frequency is not.

It's also worth noting that we use IPv6 on our network here, so the
server has the IPv6 stack loaded and is listening for IPv6 router
advertisments. Still, IPv6 works well on all the other machines I work
with, and it hasn't caused problems before now.

I'm beginning to _really_ wish I could've grabbed that panic - it was
well after syslogd and klogd had been stopped. *sigh*. Must set up that
serial console.

--
Craig Ringer