kernel 2.6.6 - was Re: [plug] Sound card problem

Jim nofixed at westnet.com.au
Thu Jun 17 00:23:42 WST 2004

The kde message indicating /dev/dsp not found was an arts message.  I
think arts and alsa do the same thing???  You only need one?

Anyway, I decided banging my head against 2.4.26 was not getting me
anywhere so I decided to bang it against debian 2.6.6 instead.........

First problem:  make xconfig wanted qt.  I used kpackage to get it.
Running make xconfig generated over 100 errors - such as duplicate
declaration of symbols.  Then I tried  make gconfig.  Didn't like that
either.  It wanted gtk, which apparently did not install properly.  So I
resorted to text-mode.  Is it possible to go back a step in text-mode?

There were specific alsa questions.

So - make config, make all, make modules_install, make install
      run lilo

I was amazed that it actually booted.  I'm using it now.

Second problem:  no modules.  The messages file has:
    no module symbols loaded - kernel modules not enabled

Does this mean modules not enabled because symbols not loaded, or vice
versa?

Jim

BTW the /dev/dsp message is still there... :-(