kernel 2.6.6 - was Re: [plug] Sound card problem

nofixed nofixed at westnet.com.au
Thu Jun 17 17:20:41 WST 2004

>> > So - make config, make all, make modules_install, make install
>> >       run lilo
>>
>>Isn't that just:
>>
>>make menuconfig
>>make
>
>Mustn't we have a "make modules" in here otherwise no modules to be
>installed (or possibly worse in the case that a make mrproper was not
>done,
>stale modules would be installed.)
>
>>make module_install
>>copy kernel and system map to location you will use in bootloader.
>
>It strikes me as possible that Jim's system is getting confused,
>possibly,
>by stale modules from previous builds.   At the risk of repeating
>others'
>wisdom, the full thing I use is (as a normal user, cd'd to the kernel
>source):
>
>cp .config config.bak      [not for the very first build of a kernel
>since
>.config will not exist]
>make mrproper   %%%
>cp config.bak .config      [this reinstates your precious and
>hard-won
>settings]
>edit the Makeconfig file to set the EXTRAVERSION variable to your
>kernelflavour ***
>make menuconfig or make xconfig or whatever depending on your
>system's
>resources
>make dep
>make bzImage
>make modules
>then su to root and...
>make modules_install
>cp System.map /boot/System.map-kernelvers-kernelflavour
>cp arch/whatever/booot/bzImage /boot/kernel-kernelvers-kernelflavour
>cp .config /boot/config-kernelvers-kernelflavour
>edit /etc/lilo.conf to allow for the new kernel
>lilo
>then reboot and select the new kernel from the list of available
>kernels.   If it works, great.   If not, reboot and select your
>previous
>trusty kernel so you can try again :-)

I think the README file for debian 2.6.6 is a bit lacking.  There is
no mention of 'make dep' as there was in previous releases.

Also, according to the output from 'make help', dep is not listed as
a target, and 'all' does vmlinuz, modules, and bzImage.

I did do make mrproper, but as it was the first build of freshly
installed source, nothing happened.  I think I got 2 lines of output.

I will assume the omission of dep was an oversight and try again.

Thanks
Jim
----
Hands were created for backrubs.
  Anything else you can do with them is a bonus!