[plug] more mailman madness

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jun 17 18:33:51 WST 2004

Shayne O'Neill wrote:

| Proto Recv-Q Send-Q Local Address           Foreign Address         State
| tcp        0      0 localhost:1967          localhost:smtp          TIME_WAIT

FWIW, connections in a TIME_WAIT state mean that the connection has
recently been closed but the kernel doesn't want to reuse that port
number just yet to avoid confusing other hosts.  In your case it'd be
from the gazillions[1] of messages that your machine is generating and
sending to itself.

Cameron.

[1] I believe this is the correct technical term.