[plug] Community Seminars

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Thu Jun 17 19:22:58 WST 2004

Jacqueline McNally wrote:

> - how to compose a document, e.g. a letter and be able to find it again

It's not just new users that need that one, I'm afraid. I just spent
some time locating a Word doc that a user here had lost ... sorry, that
"the computer lost." They couldn't tell me the filename or when they
wrote it, which didn't help.

> - how to work on computer at home and at school/TAFE/UNI

Including how to move files around between them when you need to.

> - what you need to get connected, e.g. phone line, modem, computer, ISP
> - how to choose an ISP

... and that you need an ISP, a modem isn't good enough. I've had people
  here come to me and ask why "my internet doesn't work at home" when
they're either not signed up for an ISP or not dialling out. Thankfully
nobody with an ISP account but no MODEM yet.

--
Craig Ringer