[plug] Community Seminars

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 17 23:52:47 WST 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 17:58, Onno Benschop wrote:
> I'm thinking of hosting 10 half hour seminars about aspects of computing
> in the library of the rural community where I'm staying. If there was a

Have they accommodated you under fiction or non-fiction? :-)

> single topic that you'd like your parents to know about, with relation
> to computing, what would it be?

This is a floppy disc.
This is a monitor.
This is a mouse; this is the left button and this is the right button.

This is the keyboard. This is the ANY key.

This is the the CD-ROM; and the CD tray. Do not use it as a cup
holder.

Try to explain the difference between program and data. Should be
easy if you're in a library.

Others have already sugegsted principles of good house-keeping...
the hard drive is like a 3-mile long shed with no lights... better
put those pliers somewhere consistent.

Security... keeping what's important safe, i.e. include the b-word

Don't deal with spammers.

Explain what's piracy and theft; and why Linux/Open Software are
good for everybody's peace of mind. Well, almost everybody's.

What can you find on the 'net; and how can you check that it's not
just a pile of manure.