[plug] Mailbox speeds (was [OT] Gmail Opinions)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Jun 18 05:23:54 WST 2004

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004, Ville Johansson wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 08:35:07PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> > I've been meaning to give Dovecot 1.0-test16 a twirl, released two
> > days ago. (It's still fairly beta, definitely not for production
> > systems).
>
> I'd just like to add that the author, Timo Sirainen, is very good at
> writing stable code. He's the guy behind irssi, the IRC client, and
> I have never seen a single bug in that program (even after complete
> rewrites). That being said, I still wouldn't recommend it for production
> systems either, but I have a feeling that it is a very stable program
> for its age. Dovecot's on my TODO list as well.

Sorry, I should clarify - Agreed, Timo is an amazing coder, and
Dovecot 0.99.10.x has been *very* stable - I run it almost
everywhere I can.

But the 1.0-test series had a major rework and was only recently
labelled 'nearing usable state', with some core features (like
expunging :) only implemented recently. It hasn't had anywhere near
as much testing as the 0.99.10.x releases, so unless you're happy to
track down bugs from time to time, it's probably still a couple of
months away from putting it on a machine with 20000 users :)

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 10:39:39PM +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> We use dovecot on the guild server and its rock solid. It may be beta, but
> it also 'just works'. I'd say go for it.

Which version? See above :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>