[plug] Linux WYSIWYG Html Editor?

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Fri Jun 18 10:51:59 WST 2004

On Thursday 17 June 2004 17:58, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <1087466103.2941.3.camel at localhost>
>
> on Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:55:03PM +0800, Brock Woolf wrote:
> > Hey guys, i have been looking around Google for a Linux
> > WYSIWYG (What you see is what you get [For the uneducated GNUbees])
> > HTML Editor, and alas Google has not been my saviour.
>
> If it's any consolation, I think Mozilla has a 'Composer' built in.

Yep. And OOo can create HTML too.
Personally, I think they're both still rather crappy if you want clean,
consistent, reliable HTML code.

I agree, though - I sometimes just want a WYSIWYG HTML editor to be able to
bang out simple documentation without futzing around with formatting tags.

Could always look at Browser Embedded solutions, such as Mozile, or HTMLArea.
Mozile is very cool technology, although still under heavy development.
HTMLArea is more complete, and hooks into browser composer functionality if I
understand it correctly, so it works in Mozilla and IE - but the type of code
generated by each can differ.

I also read somewhere about an Editor, also based on Mozilla Composer, aimed
to be a more complete Site management editor, to go along with Firefox &
Friends. Now, what was it called again? Nvu could be the one I'm thinking of:
   http://www.nvu.com/
Haven't tried it myself tho...

I guess the advantage of the ones which build on browser rendering is that you
get a more complete & accurate rendering with real browser power. And why
not? Why recreate your own renderer when your browser does the best job of it
already?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |