[plug] Looking for a quote

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sat Jun 19 20:27:56 WST 2004

On Sat, 2004-06-19 at 21:20, Simon Scott wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 04:12 pm, Onno Benschop wrote:
> > What I suppose I'm trying to say that it is the most visible Open Source
> > project today. This is likely not going to be true in the future.
>
> Just out of interest, what do you see on the radar that could conceivably
> knock linux off the #1 position?

A number of things, but the most obvious ones to me would be
OpenOffice.org and Mozilla, not because they are better or worse than
Linux, but because they run on many operating systems.

What I mean by this is from a profile perspective, they may well, at
least in the short-term, surpass Linux in their visibility, but I
suspect that for decades to come we will look back at Linux as the one
that "started it".

Again, I am not making any comment about the development methodology or
the code-base associated with the three named projects, I'm talking
about visibility in the public eye.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..