[plug] Mailbox speeds (was [OT] Gmail Opinions)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Jun 21 11:33:09 WST 2004

On Friday 18 June 2004 18:22, Craig Ringer wrote:

> If you want quick searching under Cyrus, "man squatter". It lets you
> build wonderful full-text indexes of mailboxes, which when combined with
> IMAP's server-side search means _incredible_ speed. I can do a keyword
> search of a couple of 10,000 message mailboxes very quickly.

Cool!

> Oh - all this applies to Cyrus 2.1 and 2.2 . If you're running an older
> version, it's WELL beyond time to upgrade - the improvements are
> incredible.

*checks*
Hmm, I'm running Cyrus *cough*1.5.19*cough*.
I can see Debian has cyrus21 packages - but not in Woody, and I've managed to
keep this server largely Testing/Unstable free. Maybe it's time to take the
plunge?

Are there many config changes or other large considerations migrating to 1.5.x
to 2.1? ie; how much time impact will it hit me with (given that I've made
minimal changes to this server over the years) if I just upgraded the
packages to 2.1?

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |