[plug] Gmail Accounts

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jun 21 12:49:35 WST 2004

Martin wrote:

> I think they call them "labels". It highlights messages that meet the
> criteria of a particular filter, much like you might sort your email
> using procmail.
>
> Instead of having separate folders, you have one inbox which you can
> filter by label. Emails can have more than one label so it allows more
> fine-grained catergorisation of them.

I tend to use both myself. I file lots of things into folders (mailing
list traffic, for example) - usually automatically using sieve - but
also use labels for other things. Many mail clients support labels.
Unfortunately, Evolution (my main mail client) doesn't store the blasted
things as flags on the IMAP server like it should (2.0 will apparently),
making it much less useful than it could be.

Even so - that's not a GMail exclusive, though they've probably done
them better than they're usually implemented in mail clients.

--
Craig Ringer