[plug] file space thingee

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 22 14:46:29 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 14:32, James Devenish wrote:
> In message <Pine.LNX.4.44.0406221423100.1037-100000 at guild.murdoch.edu.au>
> on Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 02:23:39PM +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> > dude. dont go correcting my grammar like that bro. I wasnt flaming, and
> > its rude.
>
> You're the first person to have ever provided such feedback about those
> direct annotations! (Not saying you're wrong, just that no one provides
> that feedback. I've been doing to same to most other people, and
> presumably to you, for as long as I can remember.)

I tend to subtly correct things as I reply as well, simply because I
find it much easier to reply to a post that uses initial capitals,
punctuation, and full words.  That's not to say I'm perfect, of course -
far from it.  I tend to do it without overt editorial marking, which is
actually not really appropriate but saves on fuss.  In most cases the
poster doesn't seem to even notice the fixes anyway, but it makes for
more readable archives and easier replies.

I would not see it as rude to correct the post one replies to.  It might
be a bit rude to post a response containing /only/ the corrected
version, but if it's in the course of a normal reply then I'd be
inclined to say "what's the big deal"? In this case, I could understand
the quoted reply much more easily than the original post - surely that's
useful?

James has occasionally rather firmly pointed out when I'm just being an
idiot, and I take it as it's meant - and nothing more (especially since
he's always right!).  In comparison, I'd see reply editing as pretty
trivial.

As for the question of bandwidth ... well, obviously you don't get quite
as much spam as I do. Mine is now doubling every two months or so -
*shudder*. It's easy to ignore threads on PLUG if you want to, after
all.

--
Craig Ringer