[plug] [OT] iiNet, ADSL, & Westnet

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 22 15:50:49 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 15:39, Trevor Phillips wrote:
> It seems iiNet is coming out with some VERY attractive ADSL deals:
>    http://www.iinet.net.au/products/home/bliink/updates/bliink.html
> (Is this to do with their roll-out of their own network, or are there other
> forces at work here?)
>
> However, I'm a fan of Westnet (whilst never being a customer of them yet ^_^).
>
> Has anyone heard any goss about Westnet bringing out comparable plans to
> iiNet?
>
> Is iiNet really that bad / Westnet really that good? ^_^

In my experience, iiNet's _mail_ _servers_ are that bad, yes. We have
lots of trouble communicating with iiNet customers (and did even when we
still got out IP connectivity via iiNet) because of their eternally
overloaded mail servers. It's mostly viruses, attacks and spam, but that
doesn't excuse the basic fact - they just don't have enough capacity.

As for the rest, I think its much of a muchness. Then again, I don't use
many services provided by whatever ISP I'm with at the time, usually
running my own instead.

--
Craig Ringer