[plug] [OT] iiNet, ADSL, & Westnet

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jun 22 16:50:53 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 16:36, Bret Busby wrote:

> Part of the "too expensive", included the high costs that Westnet charge
> for a combination of domain name hosting and email aliasing. When I
> contacted Westnet about this, and they asked for, and got, details of
> the fees that we have been charged for this, by our current ISP, and
> Westnet's response was "Who cares what anyone else charges - we are the
> greatest, and no-one provides a service anywhere as good as ours

They're right about that bit, at least when it comes to DNS hosting. I
have the option to have them second a domain that's hosted on my server,
giving me full control but having them still do the hosting for
availability's sake. That's hard to beat. At iiNet I couldn't even get
access to my own zone file, instead having to petition "domains" to get
anything done.

> , so,
> take it or leave it - we don't care".

> Oh, and we quit iinet, some time ago (a couple of years, I think) after
> a significant run-in with them, and a stroppy manager there, after a
> long period of problems with emails, with emails taking longer to get
> from one of their servers to another (three days), and, to get out here
> from Perth, than it took to walk the distance. Of course, they said that
> there was no problem with any of their email service, even though, on
> the whole, it was quicker to receive letters via the post, than to
> receive emails at iinet, at that time.

It's rarely quite that bad anymore. On the other hand, we now regularly
inform customers we know use iiNet that they _must_ submit ad copy at
least four hours before deadline or be prepared to courier a CD if
things go wrong.

--
Craig Ringer