[plug] Top posting?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 23 10:13:45 WST 2004

Steve Boak wrote:

> Surely having to move the cursor down a couple of lines to the appropriate
> spot to insert your response is not too hard, and it takes very little time.

After all, you'll be editing the quoted text down first usually, won't you?

As for the whole top post/bottom-post thing: I prefer bottom posting
with nicely trimmed quoted text most of the time. I don't like top
posting in mailing lists, but in private communications it's often
appropriate (though it amazes me the number of people who don't trim the
quoted text).

As for the screen reader issue - I'm astonished that they don't have an
easy to use feature to optionally skip quoted text in email. James notes
that mutt can do similar things, so it's obviously not that hard.

I do wish more mail clients could collapse quoted text, as it'd help
shut this debate up once and for all.

Overall, IMHO, it's just not that big a deal.

--
Craig Ringer