[plug] Top posting?

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jun 23 10:17:20 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 11:21, Clare Johnstone wrote:
> Onno you disappoint me. Surely these sight impaired people would thread
> their mail, and so would know what the previous contributors had said.

Uhm, pardon me for being confused.

and sight impaired people using screen-readers, I stated[1] that this
was the first argument I'd heard in 14 years that provided any merit for
top-posting.

Eg. I was saying that, yes, screen readers for sight impaired people was
a good argument for top-posting. The first one I'd heard in 14 years.

So, how am I disappointing you exactly?

Am I perhaps disappointing you in that I'd never considered someone with
a screen reader, or are you under the incorrect belief that I said that
top-posting even for screen readers was bad. Or am I disappointing you
because I've considered an argument in favour of top-posting?

As I said, I'm confused. As one person once said: "Please explain!" :-)

> Even reading this plug list is a pain because of having to page down thru
> the same stuff time after time for a short comment.

That is more a reflection on the inability of some respondents to
actually trim their quote appropriately.

> Those who favour "bottom posting" should at least take the trouble to edit
> the material to which they are replying.

Absolutely!

[1] For completeness, because the message I'm replying to didn't contain
the relevant paragraph, I'm including it here:

On Wed, 2004-06-23 at 08:07, Onno Benschop wrote:
> On Tue, 2004-06-22 at 18:56, Adam Davin wrote:
> > I was on the "opendos" list way back when it was active. We had a few
> > people on the list who were sight impaired and used text to speech
> > technologies. That list was in the habit of top posting from the point
> > of view that people didn't want to have to "listen" to the entire
> > conversation again as they were following the thread anyway.
>
> This is the *first* argument I've heard in 14 years that provides any
> merit whatsoever for top-posting. As you'll note, it hasn't persuaded me
> to change, but I'll admit to having to seriously think about it.

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..