[plug] Parallel linkups.

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 23 14:52:15 WST 2004

Bernd Felsche wrote:

> A number of "enterprise" applications dole out user tokens. If the
> users don't "return" them before disconnection, then a database
> shutdown and "crash" recovery becomes necessary to get the
> requisite real users back on board. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Heh. Remote Desktop is even worse than that - you /can't/ get back the
tokens. Licenses are assigned to machines machine, and until recently
there was no way to PREVENT a machine from being handed a license. If a
user connected using RDP from a machine ... one license down. It gets
around to relinquishing the license "within 3 months" and there's no way
to accelerate it. Fun. I found this out when investigating thin client
technologies (any guesses as to why we're using Linux thin clients,
despite all the problems with Linux as a desktop system?).

--
Craig Ringer