[plug] Top posting?

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 16:44:52 WST 2004

> Clare, if you've gotten to here, please don't feel that you shouldn't
> open your "big mouth", because I'm certain that you have more to
> contribute to this list than some I can think of.
 Ouch.. Hope that wasn't directed at me :-P

I really opened the wound on this question.. Personally I think top
posting is a better solution.
It makes sense to me that you open an e-mail and read right at the top
(where its convenient) the latest update on whats been written. If I
don't understand what its about I'll then scroll down and read what
was said before.

I find it annoying, tedious and a waste of time to have to scroll past
old text that, because in most cases I've already been following the
story and know the history of this thread.

One flaw I see in the Gmail though is that, because it automatically
hides old text/repeated conversations from e-mails in a thread, it can
be easy to reply to an e-mail and forget you have 100k of old e-mail
text below your posting that your going to resend.
That quickly becomes cumulative if nobody thinks to "Snip" it.

Along side the feature request for a "Button" for "reply top
post"/"reply bottom post" or a "preferences setting for your standard
reply" I'm going to request a button for "reply without history"

--
Attacking Linus' integrity and character is like clubbing baby seals.
- PJ, Groklaw.net