[plug] laptop screen/keyboard/mouse 2 control the server?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 23 16:51:17 WST 2004

somewhereintime wrote:
> Yeah i know about the prices...thanks for your time....maybe i can
> convince a manufacture that they might make some money out of making
> this gadget, by proving that it saves having too cables hanging around
> the place and the prices of the kvm switches...:)

Did you see my earlier reply? If I understand you correctly, you're
proposing a device you'd plug in to your laptop that would permit its
keyboard, mouse, and display to be used by another host. There is no
way, unless I'm grossly mistaken, for any "gadget" to convert your
laptop's PS/2 inputs to operate as PS/2 devices instead. The hardware
just isn't there. You would need built-in hardware support for the
capability in your laptop, and I haven't heard of that in any laptop
yet. Ditto the VGA display.

It might be possible to make a USB/FireWire/PCMCIA device that provides
PS/2 or USB outputs and accepts VGA input. The device would use some
drivers to read your keyboard/mouse events from your OS and use those to
control signalling by the PS2 or USB outputs. It would probably display
the VGA input using the OS's display drivers, much like a DVD player.
That would be cool. I didn't think of it before sorry, perhaps because I
had a bit of trouble understanding your post. It's possible something
like this has been made, and it'd be worth looking for, but I wouldn't
be getting my hopes up myself.

Is there a problem with using a serial console instead? It definitely
qualifies on the "easy" and "simple" requirements, with the bonus of
being cheap.

--
Craig Ringer