[plug] laptop screen/keyboard/mouse 2 control the server?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 23 18:18:50 WST 2004

Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Craig Ringer wrote:
>
> | It also has the advantage of not being REALLY SCARY like that device.
> [...in another message...]
> | Despite being scary
>
> What's so scary about them?

I seem to be in the misunderstanding business tonight. I initially read
it as a device that monitored the bus for communications with the VGA
hardware, and generated the serial output from that. I'd call that
scary. In fact, it seems that they behave as VGA cards, which is all
cool as far as I'm concerned.

It actually does look like a really nice bit of hardware.

> Fair enough -- I won't pretend to know how much serious server system
> things (oooh, alliteration) cost -- but they may well pull off being
> cheaper than buying an entire new server board.

True. If you needed to add that functionality to an existing system
there would be no contest.

It's not helped by the apalling state of IPMI support under Linux ATM.

--
Craig Ringer