[plug] plug mailing list vs Forum

johnmorcos johnmorcos at westnet.com.au
Thu Jun 24 23:22:05 WST 2004

---- Original Message ----
From: cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 22:40:48 +0800

>Craig Ringer wrote:
>
>| [Eudora]
>| > Its interpretation of MIME is almost but not quite as bad as
>| > Outlook's.  Its quirks in this derpartment seem to be exacerbated
>over
>| > IMAP; I don't recall having major MIME problems when we were just
>| > using it for POP3.
>|
>| I do :-(
>|
>| I had to write some Perl scripts to convert our Eudora mailboxes
>into
>| something that Mozilla, Mutt, etc could understand in order to
>migrate
>| users.
>
>I did much the same, I'm afraid.  But if you live in a world where
>Eudora owns all your mail, it's okay ;-)
>
>| > Looks and acts a bit like Eudora, which IMHO has one of the
>nicest
>| > interfaces for mail clients that I've seen.
>|
>| Lots of people say that, but I've never been a fan personally.
>Pre-4.0
>| were nice in a minimal way, but I really don't like the newer
>versions at
>| all.
>
>I've never used the newer versions :-)  Eudora 4.2 was the last one I
>used, which behaved much like the older versions only you could do
>stuff while it was checking mail.  It also crashed more :-(
>
>I like the multi-window MDI approach which let you easily have
>multiple mailboxes, messages and composer windows open at once.  All
>of the Outlook clones (and I'm including Evolution, KMail and mutt in
>this) make that much harder than necessary.  Having multiple copies
>of
>mutt open achieves much the same effect but isn't as nice.
>
>| > I use this one.  It has issues with large mailboxes, period.
>IMAP
>| > support is okay; the main problem is that it doesn't do any kind
>of
>| > caching though so don't bother using its IMAP over anything short
>of
>| > Ethernet.
>|
>| I can't use it for my PLUG mailbox even over Ethernet - it's not
>even
>| nice locally.
>
>I presume that your PLUG mailbox is just One Big Lump Of Messages?
>As
>I said, mutt's no good with mailboxes that size, whether IMAP or
>local
>mailboxes (see a previous thread).  I work around this by moving
>messages into a separate folder once opening them is too slow
>(generally around the 2000-3000 message mark).
>
>There are patches which will make mutt acceptably slow (rather than
>unacceptably slow) with really huge IMAP mailboxes, but this has the
>disadvantage of making mutt not notice when message flags have
>changed
>behind its back.  *sigh*
>
>| > One you didn't mention is Sylpheed.  It's small, light-weight,
>has
> [...]

well thats about 8 different people that have responded to this
question, id like to hear what the other plug members think.

how many members are there?

it seems as thou you guys like to mess around with mail clients and
mail servers etc to organise all the incoming mail. i work 80 hrs a
week i don't have the time to waste, its hard enough to find time to
read plug mailing list along with my other reading aswell.

some very important points to remember:

1. having a forum and a mailing list is a waste of time. have one or
the other.
2. i don't want to store all that data locally on my machine what a
waste of space and bandwidth if every user is accepting all those
emails and storing them locally.

3. a forum doesnt have to be media rich, it can very light and text
based only.

4. if you're a mail junkie which it souds like some of you are thats
great ,  -- i know what a good mail client is and how to configure
the damn thing with filters etc.

im not being lasy with not configuring a mail client to handle plug

i see other benefits in using a web based forum,

i like using them obviuosly some of you don't, thats great like i say
im happy for you. i want to know what the other 99% percent of the
plug people think.