[plug] WINE question and one about my Video Card

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Fri Jun 25 14:29:37 WST 2004

Lee Jamieson wrote:

> My understanding of WINE is that if it's installed I can use certain
> Windoze programs.  Does that include things like games?  I'd love to be
> able to play Empire Earth on Linux.

Vanilla wine - sometimes, but it's usually a bit of a struggle. You'll
often need native Windows DLLs to get things working. I understand that
people have more success with WineX, which someone else posted about.

> I have a GeForce 3ti 64Mb chipset card, Leadtek brand.  Apparently it
> can use openGL - at least it could in XP, anyway.  I'd like to get it to
> work in Linux as well. Mandrake 10/2.6.6

NVidia provide binary-only drivers on their website that will provide
full high performace 3D support under Linux. http://www.nvidia.com/ .
They're reasonably easy to install, too.

On a side note, it'd be appreciated if you could create a new message in
your mail client, rather than clicking 'reply' to an existing message on
another thread, when starting a new thread. Threaded mail clients will
otherwise show your new question under the old thread, which tends to
result in very deep and hard to read threads. It's just a little thing ;-)

--
Craig Ringer