Apostrophe's (was: Re: Mandrake 10 was [plug] MDK users was: MP3 ripper or some other software to copy cd's to my HDD)

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jun 25 23:15:51 WST 2004

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004, Cameron Patrick wrote:

> James Devenish wrote:
>
> | I think the only notable correction is that there's no apostrophe
> | within "CDs". (I know neither who started writing "CD's" nor why
> | people copied it.)
>
> I can vaguely see why people would do it -- one use of apostrophes is
> for contraction, and CDs is an abbreviation.

Are you sure?

Is the term "CD", an abbreviation, or an acronym?

Is an abbreviation not a shortening of a word, but not to the extent of
retaining only the intital and running the intials of a term together?

So, is TIA an abbreviation or an acronym? Likewise, with ICANN (as
opposed to Ican't, which is definitely an abbreviation), IANA, GNU,
OSF, etc (now, "etc" IS an abbreviation,and not an acronym...).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."