[plug] Network card works yesterday, not today

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sat Jun 26 16:54:38 WST 2004

James Devenish wrote:

| > bash: mii-diag: command not found
| > :-P  After shuttling the appropriate .deb over
|
| So, the computer doesn't have a working network device or floppy drive,
| but it DOES have pod-bay doors! ;-)

Correct.  USB-memory-stick-shaped-pod bay doors :-P

(Actually the floppy drive probably does work, but finding a working
disc might be trickier.)

| > Using the default interface 'eth0'.
| > SIOCGMIIPHY on eth0 failed: Operation not supported
|
| And your dmesg doesn't give any cause for concern?

Nope.  dmesg indicates that the module is being loaded and found the
card.  It does say "eth0 transmit time-out" or words to that effect,
which in the past I've only ever seen when there's no cable plugged
in.

| Hmm..what about trying `ethtool`?

I'll try that in a tick.

Martin wrote:

| > Where do you start trying to solve a problem like this?
| has the module loaded?

Yes, it's loaded automatically by discover, and there's an eth0
present in ifconfig -- it just doesn't work :-(

Cameron.