[plug] Network card works yesterday, not today

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jun 27 13:49:41 WST 2004

Bernard Blackham wrote:

| On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 05:14:02PM +0800, Cameron Patrick wrote:
| > Does anyone here know if the original Nforce boards have the same APIC
| > issues as Nforce-2 does?
|
| The thinterminals in UCC are (I think!) original nForce. They were
| locking up quite regularly until we put a recent 2.6 kernel on them
| without APIC and a couple of other options (that nVidia noted may
| cause issues).

Ahh, so it's like Nforce2 then.  I've stuck "noapic nolapic" in the
kernel command line (which does the same as disabling APIC in the
kernel, only it means I can keep on using Debian's pre-built kernels)
so hopefully that should fix it.

| They're not fairly reliable, apart from lots of "Badness" in dmesg
| about functions getting called from interrupt contexts by the nforce
| drivers...  *shrug*

Are you saying that the /are/ or /aren't/ reliable?  Between home and
work, we've got quite a few Nforce/Nforce2-based machines and they all
seem very reliable.  I'm not using Nvidia's drivers in any of them
though.  (Except for the Windows ones.)  (Most have non-Nvidia
graphics cards in them anyway.)

| As for the network card - perhaps you could try nvidia's nvnet
| driver?

I'm going for the easy way out -- stick a cheap-o Realtek card in
there and pretend the on-board one doesn't exist.  Avoids hassle.

Cameron.