[plug] [OT] Bee's knees

Leon Brooks leon at brooks.fdns.net
Mon Jun 28 00:09:55 WST 2004

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 00:07, Harry wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:36:08 +0800 "Arie Hol" <arie99 at ozemail.com.au>
> wrote:
>> Would you happen to know the origin of the expression :

>> "The bee[']s knees"

> Just beating JamCam to it ;-)

<quote url="http://www.briggs13.fsnet.co.uk/book/b.htm">
Bee: To be the bees knees; i.e. to be first class at something. There
are a couple of explanations for this one, neither of which I find
convincing, but which are all that I can find. The first refers to the
delicate and precise way that bees knees bend when they clean off
pollen from their bodies and transfer it to the sacks on their back
legs. The second, and more likely, origin is one of rhyme and animal
association. It was fashionable in the 1920s to coin this type of
phrase, not all of which rhymed but all of which had animal
connotations; other examples are "the cat's pyjamas" and "the eel's
heel". Several of the sayings have died out, but "bees knees" survives.

In December 2003 another possible origin was sent to me by Kerry Pitman,
as follows:

Another explanation of "the bees knees" is that it derives from Clara
Bow. She seems to have been known as "The Bee" because of her "bee
stung lips". She was also known for showing off a rather nice set of
knees. I don't remember where I first ran across this explanation but I
searched Google with "clara bow"+"the bee" and verified that linkage to
her name seems true. I also checked by searching "clara bow"+"knees"
and verified that she was also known for showing off a first rate set
of knees.
</quote>

Cheers; Leon