[plug] Torrent bogging..

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Mon Jun 28 17:37:18 WST 2004

Nathan Manzi wrote:

> Senectus . wrote:
>
> | I'm currently trying to download a bootleg movie of Michael Moores
> | "Fahrenheit 911" via bit torrent (its alright guys, he's publicly
> | stated that he doesn't mind unless someone is making money off it),
> |  but the torrent upload is killing my download.. is there any way
> | to limit the speed that it uploads?
> |
> What torrent client are you using?
>
> I recommend Azureus, available for both linux and windows. That will
> allow you to download/queue multiple torrents, and limit the upload speed.

Alternately, you have the option of using the general QoS services in
the kernel to prioritise traffic. QoS is easier to use to control
uploads than downloads, and you may find it a reasonable option. If
you're only trying to limit one program on one host, it's probably
overkill (but then, sometimes overkill now is useful later).

Downloads _can_ be controlled with the kernel QoS services, by the way.
It's just indirect - it relies on the back-off algorithm used in TCP/IP.
   You drop packets until the other guy slows down. To do this, you
generally need to reserve the top 5% or so of your link's capacity to
make sure that you, not the router upstream, are the one managing the
packet queueing. I found it _extremely_ effective with my old
housemates, and the 'net connection was snappy no matter what terrible
abuse it was suffering.

--
Craig Ringer