[plug] Punctuation Linux Unix and Grammar

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Mon Jun 28 19:23:21 WST 2004

>on Mon, Jun 28, 2004 at 06:40:06PM +0800, Chris Caston wrote:
> > Of course this leaves the onus on the list subscriber to filter out
> > posts that have the [OT] prefix.
>
>I looks to me like [OT] posts consume about 10% of list byte volume,
>yet about half of those posts appear to be good as 'on topic' (e.g.
>mailbox formats under Linux). So I am pleased to receive that 10%
>for discretionary reading.

I agree that some [OT] should stay on the list. Mainly stuff that is
slightly on topic at times or may have a Linux answer. I know that there
are times I've asked [OT] that would have been wasted on the [OT] list.
Also some of the [OT] stuff helps more than just the asker as there are
others who are from a similar background and intelligence level who learn
lots from the [OT] post.
I also agree that /some/ post should be direct to the poster (i.e.
correction of something[1]) as this stuff need not be read by all.
Tim
[1] Not aimed at anyone as I don't even look at the sender of messages

weirdo AT tigris DOT org (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton, Perth, WA
--- Computer languages are the only real universal languages