[plug] maximum NIC

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Tue Jun 29 17:23:25 WST 2004

On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 17:34, Jon Miller wrote:
> Does anyone know what the maximum number of NICs' that a server can take. I know some OS has limitations, but not sure about Linux.
>
> Thanks

Jon,

This may not be the answer you are looking for but I hope it helps in
the development of the thread you have just created. :)

At the Linux conf Martin Schwenke from IBM gave a talk about VPD from
the PCI 2.2 specification that allows you to uniquely identify many
devices.

(http://meltin.net/people/martin/publications/bigger.html)

"Your computer runs Linux. It has 1 CPU, 256MB of RAM, 2 Ethernet
interfaces, 2 IDE disks, a CD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive. You reboot
this machine every week or two to try out the latest kernel or to mess
with a new revision of the X server. You know you've got /dev/hda1 and
/dev/hda2, eth0 and eth1, so the configuration is pretty simple. When
something goes wrong with one of the components, it is pretty easy to
notice that you have a problem (using, say, logcheck) and to remove the
cover and point to the faulty component (using your index finger).

My computer runs Linux. It has 32 CPUs, 64GB of RAM, 16 Ethernet
interfaces, 540 SCSI disks, a CD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive."