[plug] maximum NIC

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Wed Jun 30 11:57:34 WST 2004

Jon Miller wrote:
> Does anyone know what the maximum number of NICs' that a server can take. I know some OS has limitations, but not sure about Linux.

There are server chassis for Linux router machines that'll take 12 PCI
cards, and there are quad-port 10/100 cards for use in them.

Here's an example of such a beast:
http://www.imagestream.com/Gateway.html

And here's a quad-port ethernet card (BTW, I'll hopefully be getting one
soon to go in a Mini-ITX C3 box to replace my PPro firewall).

http://www.wisp-router.com/product_info.php?products_id=267

So ... I'd say a safe bet is "lots". More accuracy than that may require
extra research.

--
Craig Ringer