[plug] USB2 or FW

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Wed Jun 30 17:43:31 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-06-30 at 15:24, hooker at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Quoting Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au>:

> > > Thanks Brad, very helpful! Interesting that you found USB2 slower than FW.
> > I'd
> > > heard exactly the opposite under Windoze. I agree about reliability though
> > - 90%
> > > speed and 100% right wins every time.
> >
> > Nope, I said USB2 faster than FW, but far less reliable.
> >
> > I have a couple of external enclosures with both FW and USB2 and I'll take FW
> > any day of the week.

Now check out this from http://www.linux1394.org/ :

"Linux supports 1394b a.k.a. FireWire800
Some months ago our project leader Ben Collins received a 1394b card and
added core ieee1394/ohci1394 support for it, and has been successfully
using it with a 1394b hard drive and the sbp2 module. More recently, a
user has been using an awesome new 4-channel 1394b card from Inidigita
with software RAID5 and reports good performance."

I'm not a fixated graphics card mad, monitor refresh rate, hand-eye
super cordinated freak but let me just say W00t!