[plug] Bulk Zaurus SL-5500 order

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Mon Mar 1 13:54:42 WST 2004

On Monday 01 March 2004 07:01, hooker at iinet.net.au wrote:
> Quoting Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham.com.au>:
> >
> > If you're interested in getting a cheap Sharp Zaurus to play with,
> > please contact Voon-Li at the email below. They run Linux and I've
> > heard their pretty easy to develop for. Rumour has it the solar car
> > guys in WA are planning to use one for their telemetry on the road.
> > A million uses :)
>
> If it was the new 6000, or, better still, a way of getting the SL-C860 with
> a price reduction, then I'd be there like a shot. Not the 5500 though.

I've had an SL-5500 for over 6 months now and think it's great. While I'd
prefer a SL-C860 (or similar), the 5500 does the job. It has SD & CF, the
thumb-keyboard is actually very usable, you can throw on OpenZaurus, or take
your pick of other ROM bases. I've whipped up a handful of small apps in
Python (coming from not having any Python knowledge) & QT, with a Sqlite DB
back-end in many cases. I use it for taking minutes, I keep notes, addresses,
play games, listen to MP3s/OGGs, etc...

I have a 128Mb MMC card (NOT Sandisk!) which I leave in as my "hard drive",
and have a 256Mb CF for music, docs, etc...

I do recommend picking one up, if they're cheap. I paid $650 for mine mid-last
year. I just wish I had a) more time to finish coding neato apps for it, and
b) money for cool gadget add-ons (like Eth or Wireless).

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |